Case Study 05
build SAP testing center of Excellence for global organization
A worldwide semiconductor company's global implementation of SAP ECC 6.0, BI, SCM, SRM, GTS, MDM, XI, Portal and GRC.
Annual revenue: $9 billion
Region: North America
Reason for ERP implementation: global alignment
To provide World Class and state of the art Testing & Quality expertise to all application owners across all domains for the organization Worldwide. It is common during a SAP implementation that all business requirements have not been captured, clearly defined or successfully tested. The team was required to manage the business requirements and ensure the full and successful testing of those requirements to include; functional, system, integration and regression testing.
The team leveraged the power to SAP’s Application Lifecycle Manager (ALM) solution to include the SAP Quality Center application by HP. This enabled the program to facilitate test management by enabling efficient communication and collaboration across teams and phases. This also enabled the team to manage specifications, business test requirements, and test objects, such as transactions, security roles, implementation guide activities, and custom programs.
Once the testing foundation was established the team was able to focus on enabling test automation to:
- Increase the speed, accuracy, and efficiency of testing.
- Provide a consistent, repeatable process for core testing activities.
- These included planning and scheduling tests, analyzing results, managing defects, and creating consolidated reports.
The benefits realized in this approach:
- Clearly defined requirements and management of scope.
- Thorough and accurate testing results.
- Early detection of defects thereby reducing the cost of post-production issues.
- Well-defined roles and responsibilities between various stakeholders in testing to include workflow to manage those responsibilities.
- Increased effectiveness and efficiency of testing with the right skill-mix, reusable scenarios and tools as the foundation for a testing COE.